Saturday, July 12, 2014

Somewhere in the South Pacific

 
During World War II my dad was like so many who entered into the service after Pearl Harbor was attacked.  He was sent to the South Pacific. While on an island (unknown) he contracted malaria and was sent to recover with a promise he would not be sent back.  I will always be grateful he was sent to Utah because that is where he met mom.  The promise not to be sent back , however, was not kept and a short time after my parents were married, and he was still sick, he was once again sent to the South Pacific until after the war.  He rarely, like so many WWII vets, spoke of the war.  After his death I sent for a copy of his service record and just like he said any evidence that he had a first tour in the Pacific had been removed.  My son-in-law, Cameron and I intend to puzzle where and when he was!!!  This is one of the pictures he left behind for us to question!
(Milton Ralph Smith, Ralph Milton Smith, Ralph M. Smith, Brownie, Smitty, Dad.  Youngest son of George Essex Smith Sr. and Visto May Rogers.  Husband to Carol Rose Hiatt) 

No comments:

Post a Comment